22 June 2010
Yesterday I cooked the most delicious meal. Oh, I wish I had taken a photo for you. Chicken Tagine with preserved lemon. It was so easy and so, so delicious. We don’t have a tagine (must get one!) so I just baked in the oven.
• 4 chicken marylands, or 8 drumsticks, excess fat removed
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 brown onions, cut into quarters
• juice of lemon
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• teaspoon saffron threads
• teaspoon ground turmeric
• 3 pieces preserved lemon rind, rinsed, 2 diced, 1 cut into thin strips
• 1 bunch coriander, freshly chopped
• 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 small potatoes, cut into quarters
Heat the oil over medium high heat and, working in batches, brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Add the onion, lemon juice, garlic, saffron, turmeric, diced preserved lemon and a cup of water to the cooker. Bring to a boil and add the coriander, parsley and some salt and pepper. Stir, then add the browned chicken pieces and potatoes to the pan, spooning the sauce over as you lay them in.
Cover and bake for up to two hours.
Garnish with the preserved lemon strips and serve with plenty of crusty bread.
Serves 4. You can use small strips of normal lemon rind if you don't have preserved lemon.
Seriously, it was so delicious. Lemony, herby, caramelized oniony, the colours, oh it was so good!