25 October 2010

Coloured rice

I came across a quick, fun craft activity in blogland the other day, and as we were pretty much trapped in the house for much of last week, I thought M and I would try it out.

It's so easy, and while I thought the preparation would be messy, it is actually pretty much mess free as long as you supervise!

You need:

Rice, any kind
Ziplock bags
Food colouring
Hand sanitiser, make sure it has alcohol in it

Pour some rice in a bag. Squirt in a bit of the sanitiser. Add a few drops of food colouring. Carefully zip up the bag. Shake and squish the rice so it becomes coated in the sanitiser and food colouring. Pour in to a bowl to dry. (I lined the bowls with paper towel as I wasn't sure if it would stain, but it didn't seem to.) Now make a few more colours!

The colour dries quite quickly. I then set it up outside for M to pour, spoon, funnel, mix and play with. O had a few attempts at overturning every single container so we had to pack up and wait until he was asleep. M loved this activity and it was so easy to do. She can also use the rice to glue on to pictures now too.

Fun, easy activity!






1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow, that looks like lots of fun!