6 September 2013

If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

It sounds simple, doesn't it? Just keep going. Keep on doing what you need to do, to get to the place you want to be.
 
 

Let's say it straight - I hate my body. I despise what I have let go, I despise ageing. Not very cool and new age, am I? I don't celebrate my body for growing my kids. I just despise what has become of me. I have said it before and because this is my head and my blog - here it is again. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my body, my lack of commitment and the way I look. The only way to change this is to change what I am doing.  I must move my body. I must nourish my body well and I must do this consistently. So why is that so difficult? Why is it that doing what is best for me is so damn hard?

I’ve finally figured out a great lunch – not being a sandwich person, I’m now hooked on salads. Not lettuce and tomato salads, but salads packed with wombok, red cabbage, red capsicum, cucumber, corn, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. We’ve always meal planned, so I’ve added chicken and beef to the list and we (because Itay does it most of the meat preparation!) marinate, cook and portion them for the week. I dump it all in to a bowl at work and then drizzle in olive oil. Seriously good. I love these salads!

Just this change has made a difference. I feel better when I stick to it. As I age, I am more fully tuned in to my body. This is both a blessing and a curse, knowing your own body. I know that sandwiches, specifically bready/wheaty meals just don't work well in my body.

A few weeks ago I  had a tofu agedashi for lunch and within about five minutes, I started feeling not so good. By the late afternoon I felt really awful, my mouth was slightly swollen and felt ruined, my stomach was swollen and painful. I'm not sure what caused this in the agedashi, but I won't be having that again any time soon! Another day I ate almost a whole packet of chicken biscuits (oh, the shame!) and I felt so, so tired, so foggy and lifeless. Lesson learned? I hope so.

Stop giving up. I need to find some love in there for myself, too. If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

No comments: