18 September 2013

Update on Mr Snot Cough



It turns out that my little man is allergic to house dust mites and some grasses. I don't think there are many easy things to be allergic to, and I'm trying to get my head around helping O with these allergies.

The doctor has suggested a few methods to reduce O's symptoms. I've ordered some of these mattress and pillow protectors for him. His sheets are changed a couple of times a week already, because of his constant companion, Mr Snotty. I occasionally wash them with eucalyptus oil, but I'll now add a bit of this oil to every wash. Cocoa, his little dog, needs weekly washing with eucalyptus oil too, along with his pillow. I also need to wash his curtains (more than, ahem, the once I've done it ever). One huge issue is the revolting carpet in our house. (This will only be fixed when we finally find our new home and leave this old house.) We have a Dyson vacuum cleaner and I'll need to look at replacing the filter on it, as we've horribly mis-treated it in the last few years.

We were also given a prescription for Singulair, which is used to prevent asthma and treat symptoms of allergies. It works by inhibiting leukotrienes, which are chemicals our bodies release when we inhale an allergen. Unfortunately, when I Googled this medication, the third listing was a news article about a link between Singulair and suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers. The doctor told us that the medication can cause mood swings. I don't even know what to think about this, but the prescription is still sitting on our desk.

Ahh look, as I write this, it's 10.20pm and his coughing starts up. Every damn night, around the same time. Here's hoping we can help him. I haven't even thought about the grass allergies yet.

And that photo? I said "just a second bubby, I'll take your photo" and he turns to me, does this and says "take a photo of my bum-bum". Nice one. He's such a guy.

No comments: